Tamil Nadu authorities says remainder of the transfers, 39 in all, are routine (Representational)


Law enforcement officials throughout Tamil Nadu have been transferred and 4 cities have new police chiefs in a serious shake-up within the state in the midst of an investigation into the deaths in custody of a person and his son arrested for maintaining their store open longer than allowed throughout the coronavirus lockdown.

An Assistant Superintendent of Police, D Kumar, and Deputy Superintendent of Police C Prathaban, dealing with contempt costs for making an attempt to dam investigations into the death of Jeyaraj and his son Beniks in Santhankulam, Tuticorin, have been transferred.

That they had been placed on “obligatory wait” because the Madras Excessive Court docket was advised by a Justice of the Peace that they tried to derail his inquiry into the deaths. However they’ve recent postings in a potential violation of the court docket’s directives. C Prathaban has been moved to the “anti-land grabbing particular cell” and Kumar shall be posted on the Prohibition Enforcement Wing.

Tuticorin police chief Arun Balagopalan had been changed yesterday by Jeyakumar.

The state authorities says the remainder of the transfers – 39 in all – are routine and had been anticipated. “These are routine transfers and promotions lengthy overdue. Many officers have retired too. These transfers aren’t from the Tuticorin vary in any respect,” an officer advised NDTV.

Chennai has a brand new Police Commissioner, Mahesh Kumar Aggarwal. Prem Anand Sinha is the brand new police chief of Madurai, Dr J Loganathan has been posted in Thiruchirapalli and G Karthikeyan is the Police Commissioner of Tiruppur.

The shuffle has come into impact after a day of key developments within the Tuticorin father-son deaths.

The Madras Excessive Court docket yesterday mentioned policemen concerned within the deaths could possibly be charged with homicide and ordered safety for a constable who has recorded a press release as a witness to Jeyaraj and Beniks being overwhelmed all night time on the police station in Santhankulam with lathis (sticks).

The 2 had been arrested on June 19 for maintaining their cell phone store open 15 minutes past curfew. After Jeyaraj was taken away by the police, his son, who reached the police station, was additionally arrested.

The 2 had been allegedly overwhelmed and tortured and suffered wounds so extreme that they died on June 22, inside hours of one another.

There is no such thing as a CCTV footage of the day the 2 had been allegedly overwhelmed. The court docket was advised by the Justice of the Peace that safety cameras on the police station had been programmed to auto-delete footage each day although there may be sufficient space for storing within the system’s arduous disk.

The constable who’s a witness advised the Justice of the Peace that each father and son had been overwhelmed with sticks by the night time, a lot that the sticks and tables within the neighborhood had been blood-stained.

When the Justice of the Peace requested policemen for his or her sticks as proof, one constable jumped over a wall of the police station and escaped. One other policeman believed to be one of many assaulters, Constable Maharajan, claimed his baton was at his native village. He later modified his assertion saying it was within the police quarters.

The Jeyaraj-Beniks deaths have triggered a marketing campaign for justice and motion towards the policemen concerned.